You don’t have to spend a fortune to add a little spice to your home. Here are 5 great tips to freshen up your living space.
1. Whether your kitchen is large or small, ample storage is always a selling point. Take advantage of unclaimed wall or corner space with open shelves to keep dishes, spices, and cookware within easy reach. Embellish plain shelves with decorative brackets to add personality.
2. The versatility and warmth of wood is incomparable to other flooring materials, but regular exposure to dirt, dust, and high foot traffic will leave it looking dull and distressed. Restore your floor’s shine factor by polishing with a product that is specifically designed for hardwood floors. A wooden floor should be polished once a year, and every four to six months in high-traffic areas of the home.
3. Give a dated brick fireplace a modern makeover with a fresh coat of paint. Before starting, thoroughly clean the fireplace to loosen grime. Apply a stain-blocking primer to the clean fireplace before you paint to help cover soot stains. Choose a high-gloss paint to give your fireplace a beautiful look that lasts.
4. A backsplash not only adds a dose of character to a kitchen, it also protects walls from splashes and spills. Beaded-board backsplashes, as well as tile backsplashes, are easy to install and can be done without the help of a professional. In as little as an a couple hours, you can have a new backsplash that will liven up your kitchen.
5. An unused hutch, armoire, or bookcase can quickly transform into a beverage station with a little paint and creativity. Store bottles and beverage glasses on open shelves for easy access while entertaining. You can also free up shelf space by outfitting the underside of a shelf with hanging storage for wine glasses. Use drawers and cabinets below to store serving trays, utensils, and linens.